I am offering the online chapters of the book using "The Honor System." Tip options at the bottom of the page.
Carlos has saved some cash and faces these choices. What would be the best thing for him to do?
- put it in his savings account
- invest in a mutual fund
- buy a U.S. Savings bond
- pay off the balance on his credit card that charges 18% interest
Vanguard’s Retirement Nest Egg Calculator https://retirementplans.vanguard.com/VGApp/pe/pubeducation/calculators/RetirementNestEggCalc.jsf & T.RowePrice's Retirement Income Calculator https://www3.troweprice.com/ric/ricweb/public/ric.do
Chapter 29 Notes - The Footnotes in the Book are sequential and for this chapter start at #520 and end at #528.
These notes are provided for those that have purchased the book and would like to access the notes and links directly.
1. See the Social Security Administration's retirement estimator https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/estimator.html and "How much do you need to retire?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRCoU42tuSY and Terrance Odean's Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/makingsmartfinancialdecisions
3. The perils of trying to time the market: In practice, is surprisingly hard, Economist December 13, 2018 https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2018/12/15/the-perils-of-trying-to-time-the-market
4. For instance 1Q2019 https://www.morningstar.com/articles/920384/quarterend-index-and-fund-category-data-report.html
4Q2018 https://www.morningstar.com/articles/906786/2018-fund-category-and-index-performance-data.html and
5. Examples can be found at http://www.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3061-mfq18_4_results.html and
9. Modern Wealth Survey May 2019 https://content.schwab.com/web/retail/public/about-schwab/Charles-Schwab-2019-Modern-Wealth-Survey-findings-0519-9JBP.pdf
I am offering the online chapters of The Peaceful Investor using "The Honor System." If you don't plan to purchase a version of the book, yet you think it was worth your time and you learned a significant amount, you can tip or compensate me in a number of ways. This will probably not be tax deductible for you, but I will report and pay taxes on any payments.I am offering the online version of The Peaceful Investor using "The Honor System." If you don't plan to purchase a version of the book, yet you think it was worth your time and you learned a significant amount, you can tip or compensate me in a number of ways. This will probably not be tax deductible for you, but I will report and pay taxes on any payments.
If you don't think the material was worthwhile, I would appreciate emails letting me know what you read and whether you disagree with anything in particular. I would also appreciate anyone letting me know if they find any typos, mistakes, or suggestions how to improve the material.
- Paypal me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pay me by credit card. Email me (proficient at aol.com) with an amount you'd like to donate and I will email you an invoice via Square.com. I will not have access to your information - you would enter it on the secure square website.
- Before you make purchases at Amazon, link through one of my links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Contact me to inquire about a review or second opinion of your finances.