I am offering the online chapters of the book using "The Honor System." Tip options at the bottom of the page.
Chapter 11 Notes - The Footnotes in the Book are sequential and for this chapter start at #208 and end at #239.
These notes are provided for those that have purchased the book and would like to access the notes and links directly.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/financial-advisors-show-poor-market-timing/(October 29, 2010)
14. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3101426 The Misguided Beliefs of Financial Advisors December 15, 2017 (Forthcoming in the Journal of Finance per https://brianmelzer.com/category/financial-advice/) https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-why-your-investment-adviser-isnt-making-you-enough-money-2018-02-26
15. http://corporate1.morningstar.com/ResearchLibrary/article/810671/mind-the-gap-2017/ (5/30/2017)
Similar comments were added in "Mind the Gap, Global Edition" http://www.morningstar.com/advisor/t/120104466/mind-the-gap-global-edition.htm (08/08/2017) Per the 2019 edition "allocation funds produced a positive gap of 0.22%" but "the average investor lost 45 basis points to timing" https://www.morningstar.com/articles/942396/mind-the-gap-2019 (8/15/2019) 16. Do Institutional Investors Chase Returns? January 1, 2018 https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2018/january/institutional-investors-chase-returns
17. Ben Johnson "Mind the Gap: Active Versus Passive Edition," May 02, 2018 http://www.morningstar.com/articles/862410/mind-the-gap-active-versus-passive-edition-2018.html
18. See also Tim Jenkinson, Howard Jones, and Jose Vicente Martinez, “Picking Winners: Investment Consultants’ Recommendations of Fund Managers.” Journal of Finance, October 2016, Bradford Cornell, Bradford, Jason Hsu, and David Nanigian “Does Past Performance Matter in Investment Manager Selection?” Journal of Portfolio Management, Summer 2017 and https://www.researchaffiliates.com/en_us/publications/articles/650-is-manager-selection-worth-the-effort-for-financial-advisors.html
20. http://images.mscomm.morningstar.com/Web/MorningstarInc/%7B4921d1ea-315d-4f91-9e09-9b215696f246%7D_2015_Target-Date_Fund_Landscape.pdf (page 59)
23. John Bajkowski , Charles Rotblut, and Mark Hulbert, Observations From Decades of Tracking Investment Newsletters, August 2018 https://www.aaii.com/journal/article/observations-from-decades-of-tracking-investment-newsletters
24. Campbell Harvey and John Graham, Grading the Performance of Market Timing Newsletters, in the Financial Analysts Journal (November/December 1999) https://faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~charvey/Research/Published_Papers/P44_Grading_the_performance.pdf
25. Andrew Metrick, Performance Evaluation with Transactions Data: The Stock Selection of Investment Newsletters in the Journal of Finance (October 1999) http://www.jstor.org/stable/222502
26. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/06/your-money/401k-retirement-plan-investment-stock-markets.html http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=716809#.VhPnxDVgd9Y.twitter 27. https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-winners-and-losers-of-the-heards-summertime-stock-picking-event-1514457001
29. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, June 1993
30. A prior version can be downloaded at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/paper.taf?ABSTRACT_ID=1068
32. A Re-examination of Market Reactions to Business Week's 'Inside Wall Street' Column https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=777145
I am offering the online chapters of The Peaceful Investor using "The Honor System." If you don't plan to purchase a version of the book, yet you think it was worth your time and you learned a significant amount, you can tip or compensate me in a number of ways. This will probably not be tax deductible for you, but I will report and pay taxes on any payments.
If you don't think the material was worthwhile, I would appreciate emails letting me know what you read and whether you disagree with anything in particular. I would also appreciate anyone letting me know if they find any typos, mistakes, or suggestions how to improve the material.
- Paypal me at email@example.com
- Pay me by credit card. Email me (proficient at aol.com) with an amount you'd like to donate and I will email you an invoice via Square.com. I will not have access to your information - you would enter it on the secure square website.
- Before you make purchases at Amazon, link through one of my links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Contact me to inquire about a review or second opinion of your finances.